Wednesday, July 20, 2011

And then there was flash and then there were none

What I like most about today's kids is that they aren't overwhelmed by the tech gadgets. Give them a mobile phone or laptop and they'll work their way to games menu. Give them an iPod and they'll be soon creating playlists. Give them a camcorder and they'll be shooting movies from angles you never imagined were possible. Give them a digicam and they'll be clicking away sweet memories.

Ohh.. I almost forgot. While the little child prodigies are at it, you may wanna keep an eye on them or you may learn the murphy's law
"Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value";
the HARD way.

One of these days my 5 year old nephew was playing with my digicam and next thing I see when I switch it on "Lens Error, restart camera". This message is to camera what blue screen of death is for Windows PC.
This was the first electronic gadget that I had bought with my own salary. Canon Ixus. 8 Mega Pixel. 4x Optical zoom. Image stabilization. Face detection. Might not sound like a big deal now but these were the USPs of digicams at the time I bought mine.

I searched on net and tried various possible incantations but all in vain. So I decided to take expert advice (or so they say). I showed it at Canon service center to get it checked for 200 bucks. The next day I get a call telling me that the complete lens assembly and the LCD  panel of camera needs to be changed which would cost a whopping 9,500 bucks. That's around 60% of the total cost for what I purchased it but it's actually more than what same configuration camera would cost me now.

When I asked the "technical expert" about the exact technical fault the answer was surprisingly not so technical. All I could get out of him was that they don't do patch fixes, they change the entire parts.
Its like giving someone a heart transplant and a brain transplant at the same time when all that poor soul might need is some medicines and change of weather.

I did some math and bought a new Sony digicam. I'm hoping that Canon might soon come out with some good exchange scheme to salvage some of the e-waste.
Canon.. are you listening ?

No comments:

Entanglements are but magical..

Holding onto the same string we all start, vibrating in sync with the tune of cosmos, a beautiful dance of ecstacy, all naive with joyful he...